Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Day 30: Well-Oiled Machine

Today I picked C up from daycare to find her standing on the play structure in the yard, looking triumphant. Her hair had been pulled into two neat pigtails, with three elastics on each side that made it kind of elaborate. The teachers do hair so much better than I ever could! But once she saw me, she melted into a little pile of mush, wanting to be picked up the whole time, not wanting to not be touching my body for a split second. She was also incredibly hungry it seemed, and when she's hungry, she's like me. She gets PISSED!

Before I left for work, I'd made some salmon and rice to be topped with nori, and for some reason, sprinkling the nori onto her bowl made her a little crazy. This happens whenever we put cheese on her pasta too, or oatmeal in her bath like I said the other day. Pretty soon rice was all over the floor and me, she was arching her back and throwing a hissy fit and insisted on eating yogurt and cereal.

My girls have a funny dynamic. Lately, when one is being bad, the other tries to be really, really good. So the whole time C was having this little dinner episode, E decided to eat all her dinner quietly and then read her Frozen book by herself. As I did C's bath tonight, I heard her belting out "Let It Go" at the top of her lungs. I chuckled to myself. Then, as I read a few books to C before bed, E went into her room by herself and started reading the Bible quietly while sitting in her bed. (Ok, she can't read yet, but she looks at the pictures and mumbles words she thinks go with the story.) She stayed there for at least 10 minutes. It was pretty amazing.

Paul is in SF tonight for a business trip, and bedtime can be super tricky by oneself, but I think we are both used to it now both having to travel for work occasionally. In fact, this week was some pretty slick tag-teaming. I did bedtime on Monday when he went to a networking event; he did bedtime yesterday when I stayed late at work to do a makeup lesson; I'm doing it tonight and tomorrow, and he'll do it Friday when I work late. We call ourselves a well-oiled machine.

Eczema update: I applied apple cider vinegar and Vaniply on her back and torso in the morning, and today C's back and torso were way less red. So was her face. But her arms were in terrible shape, so dry that they were almost bleeding and peeling. She'd been wearing a t-shirt which means she was inevitably scratching. I guess I have to keep her in long pants and longs sleeves all the time, but it was nearly 90 degrees today! My heart sank when I saw the condition of her arms. Well luckily, last week I went on Amazon looking for some kind of baby gloves to keep her from scratching her hands and wrists at night. If the idea with wet wrap therapy is to seal in moisture, which means applying emollients right after bathing and then covering baby in her sleeper right away, I realize that the only part of her that is uncovered is her hands and face, which have both been pretty bad lately. She always rolls her sleeves up to scratch them at night. Her legs have mostly been good with this treatment. Tummy and back are another issue, but I still think those are related to steroid withdrawl since they look a little different than the rest of her eczema, and those are not typical eczema places.

Lo and behold, I found this and it showed up yesterday:
Sorry, the resolution is terrible on this tiny jpeg. But basically it's like a little baby bolero jacket with silk sleeves that are sewn together that you can put under or over pajamas. Who would've thought? Amazon has absolutely everything. Hoping it's a better $20 than the two types of coconut oil, jojoba oil, oatmeal bath, and every freaking eczema cream on the market that I've bought! 

I had ice cream and wine to close out the day. The two are not good together unfortunately. So I dumped the rest of the wine down the drain. It was kind of an old bottle anyway. The ice cream was fantastic, however - TJ's Cookie Butter Ice Cream. I think I deserve it (well, both really) for single-mommying today and tomorrow. Oh yes, and I even managed to play the guitar for about 45 minutes when a student cancelled. High five me. 

No comments: