Saturday, March 7, 2015

Day 12: On Being Important

What a nice Saturday was. I need these weekends so badly with the kids now that they're in full-time care. Being away last weekend made me feel like I hadn't seen them in ages.

It's funny how quickly a workday can go by, and how slowly a day taking care of kids go by. When I looked at the clock this morning, I thought surely it must almost be naptime, and it was only 10am. I think that means I'm kind of rusty at being mommy all day. Despite the fact that we spend less time together than we used to, I can still see how important I am to both of them, and it astounds me. There is just something about mommy that makes a kid their worst and best self all at the same time - from letting all the tantrums loose to all the "I love yous" that I could possibly bear. I am so important to them, and it humbles me and burdens me at the same time. I'm learning this as I navigate how many guitar related things I can take on. I had a choice to go see an important concert tonight, but wanted to be home to put them down instead of rushing out right after dinner. And as I read the fifth book to E tonight, I savored how important it was for me to be with her at that moment. She gave a substantial fight tonight in getting ready for bed, but was sweet at the end. Knowing I have to leave for another trip on Thursday makes me sad, but also reminds me that I cherish our time together so much more knowing how it feels to be gone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes! Girls love you so much!