Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Day 23: Peanuts and Dogs

The allergist called me today. He called while I was in the middle of texting with a parent that wanted a makeup lesson with about two hours notice. I was annoyed about that, and I thought it was the parent calling me. So I was a little surprised when I answered the phone. He said, "Cara is allergic to just two things." I held my breath. I don't know why I got nervous all of a sudden. "Peanuts...and dogs."

I expected the peanut allergy, but dogs??!! Poor Aiko. She's been living at my parents' house for about 6 months now, but this really made me sad. I love dogs, or at least I used to before I had kids! Dogs are so much better than cats. Why can't she be allergic to cats?

"Dogs? Not cats?" I asked the doctor.
"No, negative for cats," he said.

He asked me if had any other questions. I thought about last night's lengthy blog post and wondered if I should get into asking him why he denies the existence of topical steroid withdrawal. I said I didn't have any questions. He confirmed that we have another appointment in two months, and we hung up.

I am a coward. I didn't know where to begin. So like a good little girl, I did not say anything. I have many questions, actually, but I don't know where to start. The doctor is a really nice man, and I genuinely like him, but I don't know how to disagree with him without getting emotional. It's just a little too raw right now.

I am a coward.

No comments: