Monday, March 23, 2015

Day 28: Second Opinion

Perhaps when you surrender, the answers come. I'm not sure that I've surrendered everything yet - my anxiety, burden, desire to control. But I think it's a process.

My morning was a real blur - answering various work emails, doing some convention planning, and then of course, more eczema research. Found a doctor at Cedars-Sinai who is a leading allergist and comes highly recommended on my mom's group. I managed to get an appointment for Friday. It's always good to get a second opinion, right? Well, from what the other moms tell me, this allergist does not prescribe steroid creams for eczema! Yes, there are allergists out there who don't believe the easy, ineffective way out, and I'm excited to have found one. He is said to go with small doses of antihistamine, which is way milder than steroids, and some studies show that antihistamines can even prevent asthma in kids with allergies when they get older. I guess we'll see.

We realized tonight that C's favorite snack (TJ's Honey Wheat Pretzels) are made in a facility that processes peanuts. She eats a bunch of those every day. I have to get vigilant about checking labels. I'm not used to this! I buy a lot of TJ's products every week, and a friend that came over yesterday said they are notorious for sharing facilities in their food manufacturing. So, first step is to remove all the triggers to see if this flareup can continue to clear. Coconut oil did not go well. She really liked applying it, but it may have caused another flare-up. Oatmeal bath totally failed. She freaked out when we put the oatmeal powder into her bath, kind of like she freaks out when we put grated parmesan on her spaghetti. Not sure why that is. So we're going back to our apple cider vinegar + Vaniply combination and removing all peanut related foods to see if that will help. I'm also considering getting an industrial strength air purifier.

I know, got to be careful not to get crazy. But with concert season over, I have a lot more time on my hands. And we finished House of Cards Season 3 - so good.

2 comments:

la v said...

Ooh! Good for you for following your intuition and seeking a second opinion. Will be praying this doc will have new solutions, and comfort for Curly in the meantime. And yes, House of Cards... so good! Didn't see the ending coming!

Unknown said...

I miss her lovely smile!