Thursday, March 5, 2015

Day 10: Someone with Feet

It's one of those nights. We had just settled in front of the TV to watch episode 4 of the new season of House of Cards, ice cream in hand, when I heard a moan from E's room. She seemed extremely tired tonight, and I was proud to get her down on a school night by 8:15. But now she's complaining that she doesn't want to be alone, and Paul is in her room face down, pretending to be asleep at the foot of her bed. Well, by now he's probably not pretending...

Now it's almost 10pm and he's still in there with his face down. I can hear them whispering together and counting, and once in awhile he sings a hymn. I remember now that this hasn't happened for awhile - we've had a good 6 month stretch where she's been faithfully going to bed and staying there. Not sure what has triggered this, but inside, I am smiling as I watch my dear husband patiently troubleshoot this and also feel just a little bit glad that our little girl is still little and needs us so much, just today. Now if it gets to be midnight and I'm the one in there, I won't be so happy about it. But for now, I'll delight in this anecdote:

E: I want a grown-up in my room.
Me: Big Ninny is a grown-up. She's Bear-Bear's mom. She's right here next to you.
(Big Ninny is what she calls her giant Hello Kitty doll. It's round and ball-shaped, larger than a soccer ball).
E: Well, I want someone with feet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahaha! I have feet!