Saturday, April 12, 2014

This Too Shall Pass.

I will never take our health for granted. E has had a strange cold for two weeks now. Every day the symptoms are different - it started with a mild fever, and over the course of the last two weeks, she has had watery/crusty eyes, runny nose, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, and today back to a mild fever. Only one symptom shows up every day, so life has been mostly normal, but today's mild fever made her very cranky until we drugged up her juice with some Benadryl. I am hoping tomorrow she is completely better from this one. Little Miss Curly is on the mend and has been such a trooper through her milder symptoms of what I can only assume is the same thing. It seemed to affect her digestive system most of all, and a mild runny nose and cough too. I have had it just as bad, with severe coughing fits and a phlegmy cough that I seem to get every year. The champion in all this is my lucky hubby, who didn't get it at all, and whose immune system seems to be better than all three of ours combined.

I can't taste or smell anything right now because of my cold, which is sad. We've had several of my favorite meals within the past 48 hours, and nothing tastes like anything. I might as well just eat plain tofu or cauliflower all day. I jokingly said I should eat the healthiest stuff possible since I can't taste it anyway, which I didn't do at all. Instead, today after work I was in some kind of weird binge mood. So I went to the hot dog joint across the street and devoured a sausage, fries and coke even though I couldn't taste any of it. My flesh just wanted to do the opposite of what I knew was good for me. I sometimes feel that I deserve whatever I want because I so seldom get to tend to myself. This could mean a sausage and fries binge or a $78 t-shirt. Not sure what to make of my strange behavior, but it's probably not good.

I then sat on the patio of the restaurant and watched cars drive by while totally zoning out. A sort of out-of-body experience. Definitely felt like I wasn't really participating in anything, maybe because I couldn't taste my food. I was just eating it to not be hungry. And so it made me want to just be an invisible bystander since I didn't feel like I was experiencing life. A sort of existential moment or something.

Ok, that's all the brain power I have to compare my life to French philosophy. End Day 22. Please end.

1 comment:

Caryn said...

Hope you feel better soon, Connie. Hugs.