Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Gratitude.

I had a rare moment alone today after I ran an errand in Santa Monica. It was refreshing to be out on such an idyllic 70 degree day, with the kids at daycare and my music blasting as loud as I wanted on the drive. I called up an old friend from high school to share brunch with and see her new baby, and as I waited for the take-out to be ready, I walked down to the beach and sat looking out at the water.

In that moment, I felt such incredible gratitude - for my health, my family, and even our never-ending house hunt. All the things stressing me out seemed to fade away, and as I sat there lost in thought, watching a family of four walk by. They were clearly tourists, and the two girls looked about two years apart. They were in their early tweens, and were arguing about something silly but giggling with each other as their parents oogled over the view of the ocean. It made me think of what my own little family will be like in 10 years, traveling places, having our own inside jokes, and just enjoying each other's company. I look forward to that time so much, but don't want my babies to grow up either. Sometimes I hold my girls and just think to myself, "Please just let me bottle you up at this age and don't ever change."

The hardest thing about parenting for me is knowing how to cherish it. It is so much work. But when I think about the best moments with each of them today - watching C crawl across the room with a big smile on her face, and listening to E sing to herself as she tries to fall asleep - I am just overwhelmed with gratitude. His mercies are new every morning.

End Day 26.

No comments: