Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Exhaustion.

I am spent. Skipped work today because C had diaper rash that was so bad it was bleeding, and I couldn't bear to put her in daycare. I think she has a funky stomach virus because she pooped about 7 times today, and each time kicked and screamed like she was being tortured as I changed her diaper. Poor little girl. I hope it all passes soon. Meanwhile, E had crusty, swollen eyes and I feared it was pink eye. I took her to the doctor and she gave us a prescription for some eyedrops. I was so proud of E for not crying as the doctor examined her. Pretty sure she got it from the church nursery because there were about 30 kids in there this week for some reason, and half of them were crying. I noticed it on Monday, though it sort of went away yesterday, but today was back and a little worse. She also had some funny rashy bumps on her torso, which freaked me out, but P said was probably just the virus doing its thing. They probably both have the same virus but it is just exhibiting different symptoms. I find that this happens all the time having two little ones now. Like every three months or so they have something. Praying that everyone heals up by tomorrow because I have a backlog of students to teach and I could sure use a break, and going to work is SO much easier than staying home for a day.

It's hard to know how to pass the time when you have sick kids that aren't really acting sick. Too sick to go where there are a bunch of other kids, but not sick enough to stay home all day. We spent most of the morning in Griffith Park with our neighbor friends, and I was so thankful to be out with them enjoying the beautiful cool weather. We did a short hike, had lunch at the lovely Trails cafe, and then had to coax them back to the car, which took about an hour. I don't know how E wasn't totally exhausted at the end of that - she was in a fantastic mood as we went to the doctor, but a few hours later had a total meltdown because she was trying to make a 3x9 rectangle with her alphabet blocks, but there were only 26 of them of course, and the fact that there was one missing in her little formation made Miss OCD completely upset. I could do nothing but listen to her crying, "Where's the last one? It's open! Close it! CLOSE IT!" C and I walked around the house just to get a break from the insanity.

Last night I played some Bach (D major Cello Suite, from memory) just to get my fingers on the guitar again. Haven't practiced since my last concert three weeks ago. It feels bad. But everything is so utterly exhausting lately. I'm trying to keep up with all the housework since Paul is working so much. E created "Pretend Daddy" who plays outside with her. It's a little odd. And sad.

So far they are sleeping beautifully tonight. I'm now going to have a beer and catch up on a rerun of something or other.

End Day 12.

No comments: