Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sister love.

I've managed to have some good one on one time with each of my girls lately. On Saturday, Paul takes E to swim class, so I get to have Little Miss Curly all to myself for the morning. Then on Monday, E woke up with what I thought was a really bad cold and fever. But after she took a 20 minute nap on me in the glider, she bounced back to her normal self and all her symptoms went away. It was really strange. I sent C to daycare that day so she wouldn't be so directly exposed to what her sister had, so it was unusual to have just E home with me that day. We ended up having a lovely day together, although every now and then she would turn to me confused and ask, "Hey, where's Baby Cara?"

On both days, I realized that this whole parenting thing is hard because there are two of them. Toddler was way better behaved having all the attention. And baby was way better stimulated with all the attention I was giving her. Sometimes I feel like I'm selling them both short not being able to attend to all their needs on my own, which makes me sad. But I know their closeness will be worth it.

When they see first see each other after being apart for a little while, they smile and giggle at each other for a good five minutes. Then E tries to give her sister all kinds of things, like multiple blankets, non-baby safe toys, and necklaces with small beads. Lovely. They also do this funny screaming thing that I think girls only do with their sisters. And just when I think I have really had it with room sharing - E was screaming after bath today because she got a paper cut at school, which woke the baby up - we close the door and I hear E saying, "It's ok Baby Cara. They're going to come back soon. Just close your eyes." The crying fades away and turns to laughs and giggles. And Paul and I turn to each other and sigh.

End Day 11.

1 comment:

la v said...

awww! so sweet! it'll be so fun to watch them interact when they're older.