Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Possessions

The room that used to look like this:



Now looks like this:



As much as I hate moving, I am trying to find a little bit of fun in this process. I like the challenge of seeing if we'll actually make it out of our apartment. It often feels like there is no end in sight. I pack a box and feel completely done with one area only to find a whole other cupboard or drawer with more of the same stuff. But it's fun to see if I can conquer a whole area with my boxes, packing paper, and tape. I also feel very satisfied by labeling a box with my massive sharpie, sealing up a box really tightly, or finding one more thing to add to the donation pile. There's also the challenge of getting my husband to let go of some of our stuff. This can be pretty fun if I win. Paul being a packrat and slightly sentimental about inanimate objects, we have this conversation just about every night:

"Can I donate this?"
"But that's useful."
"When was the last time you used it?"
"Well I think it could be useful."
"If you haven't used it in the past year, you're not ever going to need it."
"But it looks useful."
"But we don't need it!"
"But it could be useful."
"JUST PUT IT IN THE PILE!!! GAH!!!!!"
"Oh, alright."
"YES!"

I usually win. It must be my superior argumentation skills.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I can't TELL you how many times we have had that same dialogue. Except ours usually ends with Seth saying, "If it were up to you, all we'd have would be a bed and a table!"

SL said...

We've had that same conversation, except that we're both pack rats. So when Steph wants to throw something away that I didn't suggest I'll try to make her keep it. But then if I suggest it then I'll want her to get rid of it. And sometimes I won't want her to donate stuff b/c I'm worried she'll just go out and buy 3 more of the same as whatever she donated. :)

la v said...

wow, judging from the conversation you texted out, you really do have superior argumentation skills. you approach the debate from every angle, where as it seems paul goes for the one-liner approach. i find your style much more effective... could barely keep up! good luck with the move and make danny work hard!