Friday, February 12, 2016

Snakes on a Plane


I told Paul the other day that I'd rather be on a plane full of snakes than with two toddlers that I am responsible for. Because venom? Yeah, whatever. But tantrums? Especially two-year old tantrums? Oh God, no.

But we're doing it - tomorrow we depart for the magical land of New Jersey, where fluffy white stuff will fall from the sky and E will bask in her winter wonderland once again. The last time we went to the east coast, there was literally a blizzard on our last day and our flight got cancelled for a day. So we went sledding in the backyard of the rental house and E still talks about it as the best thing ever. We'll see how this trip turns out. Not much on the agenda except getting there and hanging out with friends and family - my mother-in-law I haven't seen since Cara's 1st birthday. So hopefully we will have some rich times together! I'm ready to pack in the Korean food.

Luckily the girls were well enough to be at school all day and I think every single kid there had equally runny noses to theirs, so I felt less guilty about dropping them off. Today was a non-stop day of work - went from two conference calls to being late to a duo rehearsal, to teaching, picking up the kids, and trying to endure this wretched 90 degree weather. Paul has been working non-stop and had had one of those all-nighter type deals last night. He was sleeping when I called him on my drive home to ask about dinner plans. We went to our default - Souplanation. Very romantic. 

One of my calls today had to do with restructuring a staff position for the non-profit I work for. I handle most of our staff transitions and I am trying to prepare myself for a difficult conversation next week. Also had one fruitful conversation with a composer about an upcoming recording project that I am really excited to see coming together, slowly. Those two things have been mostly preoccupying my mind in between nose-blowing and imagining worst-case scenarios on the airplane tomorrow. Better finish packing!

No comments: