Friday, April 3, 2015

Day 39: Good Friday

I heard Bach's St. Matthew's Passion on KUSC on the way home from work today. What an appropriate piece to play on Good Friday. The first section is ominous and dark, haunting voices singing all in E minor, and after five minutes of music, it ends on a surprising E major chord. It shocked me, as I don't regularly listen to this monumental piece. In that moment, I felt just a glimpse of what's to come. You can't understand light unless you've experienced darkness. I think that's what Good Friday means- experiencing darkness even for a semblance of the amount of time that Jesus did on the cross. That E major chord reminded me that in this dark moment, there is hope, that Jesus overcame death and was ultimately triumphant. But it took three days, and this is only the first.

No comments: