Monday, September 26, 2011

In the present

I think we've been looking for a new place to live intermittently for about 6 months. It started at the end of my pregnancy, after graduation when I had time, but I was soon too huge and immobile to deal with moving. So we put off the search for awhile, although I'd still poke around on craigslist to see what was out there. We've seen places from as far as Sherman Oaks to Koreatown to Highland Park and Eagle Rock, all the while lamenting the fact that we'd probably be leaving our neighborhood of Silver Lake, which we have loved living in for the past 3 years. Well, finally the right place has come along, only about 5 minutes away here in Silver Lake - and we'll be moving in October 15!

It reminds me that in so many areas of my life, I'm always waiting for some kind of change to occurs which I am somehow convinced will improve my life, and I don't do anything well until it happens. Waiting for the ideal job, the bigger house, the better car, the superior guitar. While I'm sure some of these things might make life easier or more enjoyable, I really want to learn how to just be here in the now and enjoy what is before me right now. This new house will be a big improvement in space for the baby, but it won't make my life so much better that I should stop everything now and place all my hopes in our new living situation. So while normally I would be pretty stressed out about moving, especially with a 2 month old baby, I am trying to let the moving happen when it happens and still focus on what is before me.

I'm constantly reminded of this challenge while taking care of Elisa every day. She changes and learns so many new skills and things each week that if I keep my eyes on the future, I will miss what she is in the present. Lately it seems like her development has really taken off. She can now follow faces coming in and out of the room, suck on her fists and fingers, pet the dog when I help her, sit in the Bumbo, and drool. Her neck control is improving, she is nursing less frequently, and she is smiling - smiling lots, which is so precious that I find myself speaking in a really high voice and cooing and oogling over her whenever she does. We're trying to shift her bedtime a little earlier, and are hoping the evening fussiness will go away soon as she gets used to the new schedule.

Here's Elisa at 2 1/2 months, completely enthusiastic about her ability to be sort of upright.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Isn't it so fun when they start to smile and stuff?! Makes some of the more weary days so much brighter!