Monday, May 11, 2009

The technology bandwagon

I'm usually not the first to jump on the bandwagon about anything. Especially things media related, like TV shows, big movie openings, the latest gadgets, and popular internet tools. I sort of take my time, see what sticks and what doesn't, and get into something like four seasons (i.e. 24) or two years later. Sometimes I just crave the bliss of quiet after a busy day.

As an aspiring artist, it's now more important than ever that I keep up with media trends and utilize those which can help my career and put me on the cutting edge. This is where I often fail. I'm not great at promoting and marketing myself, but I've gotten somewhat comfortable with the concept. My problem is now that the tools by which one does so are changing so quickly that once I settle into a groove with one thing (like having a functional website), the next thing is taking off.

Well, here are some ideas that I thought about today which have been brought to my attention by various media-savvy friends of mine.

1. YouTube. Upload current videos of various pieces to amass a following and therefore publicize your name for concert attendance.

2. Twitter. Tweet your current musical endeavors, upcoming concerts, and latest musings to help people get to know you as a person.

3. Blogging. Clearly, I'm on this one! But I never meant for it to be read for the general public. That is, I choose the setting where it doesn't come up on google searches, although of course I know that everything on the internet is fair game. At least to my knowledge, it is mainly read by my circle of friends and family. Making it a public blog linked to my website where I continue writing about my current range of topics (the intersection between my spirituality and my life as a musician, funny or important personal anecdotes, particularly interesting encounters with art/food) has been suggested and I'm still not sure about that. (If you are a stranger reading my blog, please speak now or forever hold your peace.)

4. Facebook. Yeah I'm on this one, isn't the whole world? But the more that my social circles collide on it, the less I want it to reveal about myself personally. And granted, if someone sees you perform and actually bothers to look you up on facebook, I suppose this means they want to be a part of your network in a more personal way. Connecting with your audience is a goal held by most musicians, so in theory this would be a great thing. I even asked a stranger in the audience at one of my concerts in NY how he heard about the event, and he mumbled quietly, "Facebook." But, I still don't feel that comfortable adding people as friends who I don't know personally. I once attempted to create a fan page for myself but felt completely narcissistic.

5. Instant Encore. This is a cool site where you can allow your audience to relive a concert experience by punching in a code and listening to a recording of the concert after they see it live. I don't think it has a critical mass following in the general public though. But it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Anyway, I'd love feedback from you lovely readers about how you think any of these tools might help enhance the career of an artist you might follow (actors, writers, singers, etc.) Are there any other mediums that I'm missing here? This summer I'd like to get my website overhauled and try to tap into more of these tools, so the question is not so much if, but really to help me understand how media is changing the nature of music's accessibility and the persona of any given musician. Do the latest internet tools provide a more personal interaction between artists and their audience, or does it merely give a facade of connectivity? Is there any reason to circumvent the latest innovation, or must one inevitably change with the times? What's next? Thoughts welcome.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I find that writing my phone number and email address on napkins for people is fairly effective.

I think a lot of artists have trouble with this! so many people never update their websites or blogs (myself included). After a day of practicing, playing and teaching, having to communicate creatively and effectively in yet another way is just too much for me. Even calling friends and writing casual emails seems like a drain at that point. I would be very curious to know what kind of technie inspiration you get, though. You are being so proactive and really going for it these days. Way to go!