Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ramen inspiration.

It's hard to keep blogging when you haven't had a profound thought in awhile.

And then, out of the blue, inspiration comes. Ever had one of those meals where you just couldn't stop thinking about it afterwards? That whatever you ate brought your taste buds such sweet pleasure that you felt like you'd just discovered a new addiction and were teetering in a hazy area between enthusiasm and obsession?

Well, I had one of these moments this weekend in the food court of Mitsuwa supermarket in West LA. An unassuming place for an amazing meal? You bet. Usually, this is also the best kind.

This ramen turned my whole perception of the art of Japanese flavors upside down. Santuoka, a Japanese ramen chain, exists at three different Mitsuwas in southern California and I feel blessed with good fortune. A salty pork-flavored broth with just a hint of sweet seafoodiness to balance. Perfectly chewy noodles that curled so beautifully in my spoon. Rich and fatty slices of pork to top, along with some pickled seaweed, fresh scallions, and (could it be?) fish cake that actually tasted like fish. I was floored by this umami perfection, and ended my meal by verbalizing this to my husband who was in an equally dumbfounded stupor. "It's perfect," I said. He nodded in between slurping, causing several drops of the precious broth to alarmingly fall to the table. Not wanting to tolerate any more waste, I picked up my bowl and drank every last drop of the sweet soup afterwards and considered ordering another, so delicious was this incredible nectar. We barely said two words during this meal, usually a sign that the food is good- especially when the two words were the ones I mentioned above.

But this was not just a fleeting moment of bacchanalian satisfaction. I felt inspired from this ramen. It made me believe that I could do anything. My perspective on the world began to shift. In a moment while slurping down noodles with my burnt tongue, I had an important realization. Thoughts become things. This ramen was once a thought. Now it is a thing. I'd just had a week where I wasn't doing much, feeling uninspired and lazy from an uneventful spring break. But this superhuman food brought me to my feet, recharged and ready to take on the world as a new woman. I can do anything. Thoughts become things. My thoughts can become things, too. I CAN DO ANYTHING! SLURRRPPPP!

To top it all off, they have double matcha green tea soft serve in the same food court. I haven't been this happy in weeks.

7 comments:

la v said...

this is a great post! you could be a food writer! new calling? thoughts become things...

Unknown said...

hehe the jersey mitsuwa ramen is solid. definitely ranks up there with setagaya, and ippudo IMO. i still like the egg noodle ramen at menchanko tei, and the hiyashi chuuka ramen at sapporo too. still need to check out momofuko, rai rai ken, etc....

Unknown said...

seriously, you could be a food writer!

and i am SO happy to know that there is a Santouku in the NJ Mitsuwa as well! definitely time to take a trip up to bergen... omg i'm salivating now. i hope it's as good as the one you had..

Patty said...

i LOVE this. i really felt like i was reading a food blog.

Unknown said...

i echo everyone's comments. makes me want to go to Mitsuwa soon. keep on writing, girl. :)

shirley said...

haha. it's awesome how the simplest pleasures sometimes can bring such big revelations. =)

grace said...

love love reading your blog :)