Monday, September 22, 2008

An update on life

Life has been whizzing by. With school in full swing, I haven't been blogging as often as I used to. But here are some fun things that happened this month.

I turned 27. Paul took me to Providence for my birthday. It was unbelievable. Might be the best meal I have ever had. I think the foie gras ravioli with truffle shavings sealed the deal for me. This is also the place where they make the world's best chocolate chip cookies and Paul had the waiter bring me a box full of them to take home at the end of the meal. Score!



The SDGQ had its first two full-length concerts! Here we are at San Marcos Lutheran Church. This was a great crowd and even gave us a standing ovation. It's a lot of fun to play with these guys- they are all really wonderful people.



I gave a solo recital at Point Loma Nazarene University, a small Christian college in San Diego that has a special place in my heart. It isn't because their campus overlooks the ocean, although that certainly doesn't hurt. The students that I've met are appreciative and gracious, and the faculty is wonderful as well. I played a full-length recital in their beautiful hall on Friday night. Boy, was it tiring. By the second piece I really needed a water break and a massage. Overall, I think it went pretty well. The audience was small but sweet and I sold a few CD's too. And with a little bit of sucking in, I somehow I managed to fit into this dress, which I wore for our Chinese wedding banquet in 2006. I haven't been able to fit into it since we left NY. Magically, I've lost 5 pounds since we've moved to LA, which doesn't make any sense to me since all we do is eat!



We've settled on a church, we think... NewSong Community Church, which a new friend of mine from school introduced us to. So far, it has been awesome. They are really living out a few of the important things we look for in a church- multi-ethnicity, strong teaching from the word, social justice, and community. We are hoping to join a commnity group soon.

And there's home life. We had a pretty chill weekend after my recital, and recovered from all the driving to SD we've been doing lately. We had an awesome brunch at Comme Ca, discovered The Farmer's Market, cleaned the apt a bit, and made our monthly Costco run.

Paul works from home now and loves it. Here he is being super productive.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

glad you found a church... looks like you're having lotsa fun in LA. Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

i love that photo of husband and dog! it kind of looks like it belong in an ad :P

oh i miss you conners! and paul! and aiko too (contrary to popular belief)!