Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cutting it pretty close...



























And by the skin of my teeth, my first album is off to duplication! The past few weeks have been many days and nights of editing, listening, and proofreading until I felt like my eyes and ears were both going to fall off. Never had I really imagined how much work putting together an album is as an independent artist without a label to do all the legwork for you- from the music selection to the graphic design, producing and editing, coming up with an album concept, duplication, distribution, song licensing; it has been a real life crash course in the plight that musicians have to go through to get their music out to the public. It's also been a struggle for me in my work habits, too. I've experienced both feelings of resignation and perfectionism throughout the process, which was as frustrating as it was illuminating. Knowing how much work goes into album production, I now shudder at the thought of ever ripping an album from someone else (remember napster back in the day?) and vow to always pay full price for every piece of media I will ever own again, knowing that the artist makes pennies compared to how much work was put into it!

I've had some amazing help along the way and I'm so grateful to have had the means to do this. It looks like the CD's will be arriving just before the release concert in San Jose on July 12. I was worried that it would be a close one because of some recent delays. But I just spoke to the duplication company today and hopefully I will be getting the shipment (how many boxes does 1000 CD's come in?) on July 9th or so. Wow, that's close, considering the fact that I began fundraising for this project over three years ago.

Stay tuned for more info on how to buy many, many copies so you can help bail me out of the poorhouse! It will be available for purchase through www.conniesheu.com, www.cdbaby.com, and www.digistation.com- but the way to help the artist the most is by buying it directly from her or on her website! So, get ready for more shameless promotion in the next few weeks. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yeaaaaaaaaaaa. i'm in for one for sure. (:

la v said...

well, i'll definitely need one for my car. and jack's car. and one for every room in my house, including the bathrooms. oh, and musn't forget the rabbit! she'll need one for the hop pad!!!

jack said...

congrats on getting to this point after all the hard work. i can't wait to hear it!