Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Cabin Fever

The past few weeks my mind has been in a bit of a haze. Especially the week that we moved. It was not a hard or frustrating move- everything went smoothly and soon the new place was feeling like home. But I am a creature of habit, and the lack of order was probably what caused my mind to become so crowded and crazy.

Well, in the middle of all my mental blankness, I managed to get into a car accident. Ok, maybe you wouldn't call it a car accident. It was an accident. And it did involve my car. But it did not involve another car or another driver. Thank goodness. It did involve a wooden pillar in our parking structure. And it did result in a huge foot-long dent on my left front door and my left side mirror being knocked completely off. The mirror somehow hung on by a thread and we taped it back to the car so that I could still see (vaguely) out of the left side. It looked completely stupid and was a perpetual reminder of my carelessness and the $$ that will go down the tubes for the repair- all that, gone in about 2 seconds!

This week the car is in the shop being repaired, and I am stranded without a mode of transportation for getting out of our apartment. It was a good week to do it since my students are all mostly on spring break this week. I have a few that come to our place, so they are my only dose of human interaction each day. Days like this make me a little crazy. I feel like typing out long sentences on the computer that go something like "All work and no play makes Connie a dull girl." (that's a movie reference in case you have no idea what I'm talking about)

Anyway, this is a great excuse to make me buckle down and practice. I always want those periods of time which don't have any immediate deadlines so that I can work on learning some new music, or writing some arrangements. But when they come, I would rather do anything but work. Yesterday was halfway productive. Ask me how much progress I've made by Friday- but first check if I'm sane.

No comments: